Thursday, November 17, 2005

Downtown Mall

OK we all love it, but two issues today as I head out to volunteer at the Paramount this evening. Why are there no Record Stores on the Mall? Are they still called record stores? There are so many book stores (and great ones) and the Corner has such a bad parking situation, wouldnt it be great if Plan 9 put a store on the Mall? Or any other independent store. I know there is an obscure music shop on Market street (is that still there?) can I buy relatively mainstream music there? THe hunt is on.
Second issue, Sunday nights are not good for the quick take out eater on Downtown mall, as far as I can tell your choice is Christians, which is good but it doesnt accept credit cards and I never have any cash/checks. Even CVS closes at 8 on Sundays, that is very early especially when shows are going on at the movie theater and Paramount where potential customers are.
This is not to complain, merely observations, I love it down there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know there is an obscure music shop on Market street (is that still there?) can I buy relatively mainstream music there?

Yup.

For a decade, when Spencer Lathrop owned it, it was called Spencer's 206, and nobody ever would have dared put another music store within 10 blocks of it. Spencer was downtown when nobody else dared open a business downtown. After Cal bought it a couple of years ago and subsequent changed the name, I think it lost a bunch of its branding value. I've had several friends work there over the years, and knew Spencer as one of his earliest customers -- it was a downtown institution.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tip, I will try to find it.

Pandemic Purchases part 1

I am never going to be an influencer. I realize this because I am terrible about hyperlinking and I am old. Of course, those are the only tw...