Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Georgia Atrocity

I saw Bob Costa's interview with the President the other night during the Olympic coverage. The first time I have seen the President as likeable in quite some time- but the political topics he seemed as clueless as ever.

I am not expecting much from the Russians with respect to Georgia. Its clear Russia is following the approached espoused by many warmongers- watch what we say, not what we do.

So President Bush is hitting back with his famous "because I say it, it must be true" (but we wont do anything to actually try to make it happen) speeches.

Russia is belligerent, Georgia is our friend (or a country with a relatively democratically elected government as compared to, say, Russia). Russia has demonstrated NO interest in what the USA has to say, and why should they? But the US insists.

One thing is clear, if we insist, Russia will tell us they are doing what we ask, but that doesnt make it true.

"The United States stands with the democratically elected government of Georgia and insists that the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Georgia be respected," Bush said sternly during brief remarks in the White House Rose Garden.

I have a low threshold for President Bush, but this conflict is really important and he is the face of the US stance on the situation. I pray the worlds leaders can find collective wisdom in resolving it. The people of Georgia deserve better than to have their country torn apart by the Russians again.

No comments:

Pandemic Purchases part 1

I am never going to be an influencer. I realize this because I am terrible about hyperlinking and I am old. Of course, those are the only tw...