Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jefferson School African American Heritage Center at the School Board meeting

The School Board heard a fascinating presentation by the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center at January's meeting. The Center wants to partner with the City Schools so that city students learn about the role of the Jefferson School and African Americans in Charlottesville.  The school system has been working closely with the Center so that our students can get the benefits of having such a great resource in our community.

The same night of the School Board meeting, I watched a documentary on PBS produced by the Center for Politics at UVA entitled "Locked Out: The Fall of Massive Resistence". The Moton School is part of the documentary. The School is now a museum. Check it out if you are in Prince Edward County, VA. As I researched this post, I realize the documentary is several years old. I recognized Alicia Lugo in the documentary, she has since passed away. The documentary is beautifully done, if you have a chance to see it, please do.

Seeing the documentary reminds me how vital it is to memorialize our history in ways that future generations will be able to learn and understand it. I am so happy that the Jefferson School Afican American Heritage Center will be able to document the history for us here in Charlottesville, it already is a great community resource. As Ned Michie noted at the School Board meeting, the executive director of the Center, Andrea Douglas, is "inspiring", full of energy, and getting results.

No comments:

Pandemic Purchases part 1

I am never going to be an influencer. I realize this because I am terrible about hyperlinking and I am old. Of course, those are the only tw...