Monday, July 24, 2006

Tour Wrap Up

Bob Roll, Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin, the commentators for OLN's coverage of the Tour de France keep using superlatives to describe this year's tour- "the greatest one day performance ever" "the worst, one day humiliation ever" "the greatest tour ever".

In my five years of following the Tour, this year's certainly captivated and delivered. While my fantasy cycling team did not fare well, I did not really care because the drama kept me glued to the tv. After the Tour- what does one do?

The OLN team had this great graphic after the time trial on Saturday detailing a European cyclist's road to win the Tour (it was a fairly straight up climb from winning small circuit races to bigger races and finally winning the tour). Then the American's route- well it involved early success, "plunging into the depths of Hades" (as Bob Roll colorfully put it) and finally winning. Why do Americans make it so hard? I dont care, it is great drama.

The Vuelta is coming up, Jan Ullrich's contract with TMobile has been terminated (but his former team is so strong that another member won third place); Ivan Basso's team CSC put in a great performance although the time trial did them in and they landed in fourth. Discovery- a distant memory. I am hopeful that this Operation Puerto doesnt touch Ivan Basso and Tyler Hamilton and the both of them will be racing by the end of the season. A girl can dream. Vive le Tour!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And not one mention of your fantastic weekend at the Jersey shore?

Jennifer said...

IT was a fantastic weekend. Thanks for having us!

Anonymous said...

Agreed about the tour - my big concern was that, post-Lance, I wouldn't be interested. But instead, I found this to be a better tour to watch than the past couple.

I wish that Adelphia carried OLN in their basic package; I was jonesin' to watch coverage live, but had to stay tuned via the web instead.

Jennifer said...

We were at a crossroads with our OLN coverage, so we had to research a lot to be sure we could watch. Directv (since we had all the equipment) was the best deal. Adelphia is just too much ($75 a month) for one channel. The online coverage is quite good, I 'watched' the time trial on my TREO on the way to Jersey Saturday (I wasnt driving), the writer was opinionated and I appreciated that.

Jennifer said...

All Tour, all the time. Because I am sick of blogging about the Tour,I am simply going to note, Floyd Landis A sample has been found positive. Disaster...

Pandemic Purchases part 1

I am never going to be an influencer. I realize this because I am terrible about hyperlinking and I am old. Of course, those are the only tw...