Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Rant milk prices

So I confess, I occassionally read The Rant section of Cville Weekly. I know people protest it is trash- whatever, it is base but has some truths to it.
First, a caller mentioned the prices of milk at Food Lion. The caller complained that FL is supposed to be for poor people but that the price of milk is over a dollar more than at other more toney grocery stores. I checked the prices at a lot of grocery stores in the area- and do you know that ranter was right? FL has milk at $4.59 a gallon- that is outrageous compared to Giant/Kroger which is $3.49-$3.89ish. However, I went to Kroger today and I was thinking about buying something... Quaker Oatmeal Bars (the apple cinnamon are delicious)- at FL it costs $2.89/box, sometimes 2/$5 which is when I like to buy them. At Kroger the same box cost $3.89.

I like what Patience has discovered in her shopping local experience, she has lessons for us all, but I think I would rather pay $1 more for milk if the rest of the prices are comparably lower than other stores (which in this limited survey means FL). I shop carefully nowadays but I dont feel like I have to so much at FL which is kind of a relief.

3 comments:

Patience_Crabstick said...

Wow, thanks for the link. :)
I read that rant too, and it is strange that FL's milk is so expensive. The other thing that ranter pointed out is that the cheapest milk in town is at Whole Foods (at least I assume that is what she meant by WF.) I have found that to be true, and not only does Whole Foods have cheaper milk, it's free of that growth hormone that is sometimes given to cows.

Jennifer said...

interesting...I didnt remember that part of the rant. I have heard that if you are going to change one thing about your diet, changing your milk to organic or hormone free milk is the best thing to do- I have no actual cite for that but it is good to know about WF.
And really, I enjoyed reading about your experiment in local food shopping and it has me considering all sort so of New Year's Resolutions.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I've found that Sam's Club has the cheapest milk -- less than $3/gallon, but it's not organic.

Pandemic Purchases part 1

I am never going to be an influencer. I realize this because I am terrible about hyperlinking and I am old. Of course, those are the only tw...